The Bomb Experiment Continues…

Our first attempt at making bath bombs was not very successful. My daughter Sam and I waited a couple of weeks and decided we were ready to try again.

We felt that the problem we had the first time was that we’d used too much water. We also thought that because we’d purchased the good essential oils we didn’t need quite as much as the last ones were a bit overpowering.

We started by mixing our dry ingredients.

bomb

Then we mixed the liquids, lessening the water and essential oil from 1 teaspoon to 1/2 teaspoon.
bomb

We had watched a video that showed them pouring the liquid in just a drop or two at a time, so that’s what we did, until it was all mixed.

Sam then began to pat the mixture firmly into the mold halves and then pressing them together until they clicked. I bought some plastic ornament molds to use this time instead of the metal molds.

bomb

bomb

We then carefully twisted off the mold and set the bomb on a tray.

bomb

We thought we’d done it. They looked so good. Then when I went to pick one up, it split in half. It just wasn’t adhering to the other side. Then we realized that we’d forgotten to put in the olive oil. Maybe that was the problem! So we made a green batch. One in a heart shape mold and one round. When we started to drip the liquid into the dry mix, it immediately started to fizz, (not good,) and then expanded when taken out of the mold. So we went back to no olive oil and made a purple batch in heart molds. They didn’t fizz or expand, but they didn’t adhere together either.

bomb

We then watched some more videos and looked at some more recipes for bath bombs. I found several that don’t use cornstarch. I also think that we aren’t overfilling the molds enough to allow them to stick together.

As you can see by the video, they fizz pretty well, but I think I’d like to add more color. It wasn’t very bright.

Stay tuned for Bath bomb try #3!

 

 

Leave a Reply